Sunday, May 8, 2011

Replicator Dynamics

When we started studying “replicator dynamics” in Rational Choice, I could hardly keep from laughing. Sci-Fi fans will recognize that the Replicators are a species of metallic spider-like creatures from the television series Stargate SG-1, and later Stargate Atlantis.


I had originally written a good start to a fairly lengthy post about applying the mathematics and philosophy from the course to Stargate characters and events, but in retrospect the only target audience for that kind of material is, well, me.

As far as I know, none of the Stargate fans who read this are taking game theory courses, and none of the students in my class are both Stargate fans and followers of Peacelight. I could be mistaken, of course, in which case I apologize for depriving you of the Goa'uld's Dilemma and the Space Hunt. You'll have to reason out for yourself whether pursuing Tau'ri or Asgard ships is more evolutionarily stable.

Back to studying for that final. You know, with computer-modeled simulations of replicator dynamics and whatnot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say? Add to the conversation!